Are cognitive distortions accelerated by aging?

There are following ten cognitive distortions. I believe that all of them are pitfalls that I usually fall into and that I need to be aware of.


What are cognitive distortions? Ten typical items and specific examples

Cognitive distortion refers to the fact that one's feelings become anxious, frustrated, or negative due to a distorted perception of the same event when encountered. In addition, because it is a matter of degree, no one is "completely free of cognitive distortions. Furthermore, in recent years, the idea of "cognitive distortion" has become outdated. This is because there is no correct answer to the way of cognition and, therefore, no evidence to call it distortion. The mainstream image of cognitive behavioral therapy these days is to consider each person's different way of cognition as a "trait," and to give a person suffering from such a "trait" another perspective so that he or she can recognize both ways of cognition, rather than correcting them.

An automatic thought is a thought that pops into your head without you being particularly aware of it. In the apple example I mentioned earlier, you know without thinking that the object placed in front of you is an apple. You don't have to think, "This red, round object is an apple... I ate it the other day and it tasted like an apple..." This thought that pops into your head is the thought that comes to your mind when you are in a situation where you are not thinking. This quick thought that pops into your head is peculiar to each person. When a friend does not reply to your e-mail, some people think, "Maybe he is busy," while others think, "Maybe he does not like me.... This habit of thinking in our minds causes cognitive distortions.


Cognitive distortion

1. black-and-white thinking (all or nothing)

2. overgeneralization

3. negation of positive factors (negative thinking)

4. jumping to conclusions

5. filtering

6. emotion-based judgment

7. over-interpretation and under-interpretation

8. labeling, labeling

9. individualization and blaming

10. Shoulding


When I observe people who are angry with others around them, it seems that they explode when they are unable to process the above distortions within themselves.

It is a proof that I am not mature enough to handle the distortions.

In my case, a morning walk is an effective way to come to terms with the emotions that have resulted from this distortion. A 30-minute walk in the neighborhood in the sunshine helps me to sweat and replace my water, and the atmosphere of the city that is starting to move and the clear early morning air helps to refresh me.

It also seems to be effective to stop comparing oneself with others by placing the axis of evaluation within oneself. The noise around you will disappear and you will be able to concentrate on what you need to focus on. This is also much more productive, as it allows me to put aside the trivial events that I cannot know the true meaning of and the gazes of others, and concentrate on the things I can control.

Personally, I believe that "aging" = "lowering the boiling point of anger" (loss of flexibility in thinking), and since I feel better by laughing from the belly, even if it takes a little effort, I try to live my life laughing with the people around me while taking measures against "anger."


コメント

人気の投稿